Saturday, March 2, 2019

Non-Traditional Barbie Furniture Ideas


In my last post, I discussed my top five favorite mass produced doll furniture pieces for Barbie & friends. (in case you missed it click here.) Today I'm expanding on a past post regarding looking for doll furniture in more unusual places. (To see that post click here.)

  I have found some of the most incredible and unique doll furniture pieces and accessories in a variety of resale shops and big box stores. Don't head to the toy aisle though..my secret? The home decor aisle!

Trinket box dresser found in my local thrift store.

Some of my favorites are ready to go items such as the painted dresser pictured above. This little gem has three actual working drawers and I found it at my local favorite thrift store. These highly decorative trinket boxes can be found on-line, in stores and even at garage sales. You just have to develop what I call the 1:6 scale eye. To demonstrate scale, I have photographed this dresser next to an actual Barbie chair so you can see how perfectly suited this treasure is for my dollhouse.



Another example of a home decor item re-purposed into doll furniture. 





This particular vignette includes a resin candlestick table base, rectangular craft sign-faux painted to look like a concrete table as well as a faux finished Barbie wicker piece of plastic furniture. It's amazing what a little paint can do to transform a few pieces!!



Oh, and the little drink holder? It is a fun little fairy garden accessory! I just filled with faux ice cubes and a variety of fun beverages. (mine pictured above is a slightly different style).




And can we just mention pin cushion chairs again?? This sweet little pink plaid chair is one of my all time favorites. I finally have a matching pair of these beauties. The seat removes for storage and it comes with a matching ottoman. Be still my heart!!






This lovely nautical themed vignette was another altered piece I've created. The cabinet began life with the drawer & doors and just a plain wood finish. I added the decorative trim detail to the doors, changed out the knobs and created a distressed painted finish. A few accent pieces and coordinating piece of artwork, in a thrifted miniature frame of course and the vignette is complete.

What are some of your favorite home decor pieces you have found to add to your doll collection? Any items you've transformed into something new? I'd love to hear about it!!

Until next time...
Stephanie

1 comment:

Non-Traditional Barbie Furniture Ideas

In my last post, I discussed my top five favorite mass produced doll furniture pieces for Barbie & friends. (in case you missed it clic...